Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Favorite Films Before My Lifetime: 1957



Welcome to 1957, another entry with some great great movies, but a bit more brief captioning on them.  Its just how it is, some days I get the time to give them some meat, some days I'm not.  The important thing to me is that I get them up and the choices are made.  Thanks to those of you who have been looking forward to these and keeping up with them.  Its a lot of fun!


Best Picture race of 1957

WINNER - The Bridge On The River Kwai
Sayonara
Peyton Place
Witness For The Prosecution
12 Angry Men

And my picks


3:10 To Yuma

A beautiful shot and suspenseful Western.  A memorable role for Glenn Ford as well.  The remake to this wasn't too bad either.


12 Angry Men

One of those great films that everybody needs to see.  I dunno about any more, but this one used to be one that schools would try and fit in and such.  Its also one of the best stage plays turned in to a movie.  The script is so strong, it never feels it.


The Bridge On The River Kwai

Just a great classic war film.  One of the tops in the war film genre, and a fictional one at that.  Well, the historical fiction as it does set itself in WWII and is accurate to its time and place.


Paths Of Glory

Maybe not underrated, but certainly one of Kubrick's overlooked films.  This is one of my personal favorite war films.  It brings about fantastic subject matter and is a film with a hell of a gut punch including a very disturbing sequence. 


The Seventh Seal

One of my favorite films...EVER.  When we did the HHWLOD Top 20 films of all time, it made my list without any thought.  Its a beautiful, deep and layered film.  So much gorgeous imagery and cinematography.  I actually singled it out on that podcast to discuss which you can find a link to on THIS PAGE.


Wild Strawberries

One year, two Bergman films.  Another deep film, while Seventh Seal explored the meaning of death and escaping it, this one pondered more the meaning of life and existence.  Of course it looks beautiful and is wonderfully acted as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment