Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Favorite Films Before My Lifetime: 1962



Its time for 1962!  Lets go through these motions shall we?


Anakin says the Oscars are like sand.  They're coarse and get everywhere.

WINNER - Lawrence Of Arabia
The Longest Day
The Music Man
Mutiny On The Bounty
To Kill A Mockingbird

My list more or less gets its power converters from the Tosche Station.


Carnival Of Souls

This little haunting tale, features some luscious and spooky photography that I think sincerely would benefit from being cleaned up a little and transferred to high definition.  I think it could still unsettle people today.  Its one of the earliest sort of mindf*** movies I can recall and a unique take on zombies when zombies weren’t exactly the Romero archetype yet.  To me they’re more like ghouls, but whatever they are, they’re creepy as hell.


Dr. No

A solid start for James Bond,  It had to be eh?  This film spawned 23 sequels and has no apparent end in sight.  Its also the film that kicked off this long line of retrospectives and the eventual creation of Naptown Nerd.  Read THIS and we'll see how far I've come.


Lawrence Of Arabia

There was a time in my young life when this film's greatness was called into question.  In the 90s, AFI id a massively publicized Top 100 Films Of All Time list.  It placed in the Top 5 and seemed like a headscratcher.  It wasn't just me, either.  I used to watch Entertainment Tonight quite a bit back then and even they were like "Lawrence of Arabia?"  Seemed to be one with disconnect.  However, I had not seen the film nor heard of it til then actually.  So what do you do with a film like that?  You go and check it out if you've not seen.  And this is one of the most epic of epicly shot movies you can find.  If you get a chance to see this one on a large screen, you gotta hit it up.  


Lolita

Yeah, I'm probably higher on this because its part of Kubrick's library, but that's what makes it so much more intriguing.  Lolita usually falls toward the bottom of my Kubrick favorites, but still is worth the stop on the journey.  My big qualm is that its pretty damn long for a film of its ilk.  Its got a good cast too, which is worth mentioning.  The film itself is a tad compromised from its subject material, but still an entertaining view.


The Manchurian Candidate

A great mix of thriller, war and science fiction.  This one works, and then would actually work again pretty decently in its remake many decades later.  For someone like me that grew up in the 80s its also interesting to see Angela Landsbury in something that isn't Bed Knobs & Broomsticks or Murder, She Wrote.


Tales Of Terror

This is a ghoulish little bit of fun.  Its one of the movies that started these "super team ups" of veteran horror actors along with Vincent Price.  Peter Lorre is another fave of mine, and this is the point in his career where he started taking a kind of Christopher Walken approach to the types of movies and roles he'd be in.  What I'm meaning, is he was a little less the creepy, deadly guy and moreso the same but with a bit more of a humorous approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment