Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My 2013: My 2014 - 10 Films I'm Looking Forward To


So tomorrow 2013 will be over and we will be ringing in 2014.  While 2015 looks to be THE year to go to the movies (well, if you're a franchise person), 2014 will be no slouch.  There's already plenty of notable projects and I'm sure more will pop up as the year goes and we get some more trailers and extra buzz from screenings.  While 2015 has all the hype in the world, it also could be setting up for a big disappointment.  2014 on the other hand has the sort of "well, let's just get through this year so we can get to 2015" type feel with the movies, meaning its probably going to surprise and turn out to be pretty damn good in its own right.  Remember or summer 2011 was only the preface to summer 2012...and then 2011 wound up being the much better summer?  I'm not saying that will happen, I'm just saying let's not discount 2014 before its even begun.

Below are 10 films that are currently on my radar (there's more than 10 actually, but I have ten digits and its a nice clean cut off) going into 2014.



The Grand Budapest Hotel - March 7th

Wes Anderson = ticket sold.  Even if the guy isn't making that great of a film (Darjeerling Limited), he's still got a flair and characters that are enjoyable so its not like you're having a bad time.  He's coming off what could be his best film and looks to be continuing his journey of being completely and entirely in his own wheelhouse when it comes to filmmaking.  Aside from the trailer, I've kept myself intentionally in the dark on this one, but its got my money already.


Veronica Mars - March 14

This was one of my absolute favorite shows of the 00's.  Gone too soon, but apparently not forgotten by its creator, stars or fans.  While, I had come to terms with the show being over and ending on somewhat an unconclusive downer, when everyone involved seems to have believed there was still story they were being held back from telling and want to tell, then I'm ok with this.  Plus it'll be interesting to see how this whole done on the cheap Kickstarter film turns out.


The Raid 2: Berandal - March 28th

One of the greatest action movies we've seen in years is getting a sequel.  And its looking like its going to keep up the intensity and nail biting thrills the first one has.  Also, from sketches released, it looks like there's going to be some cool characters introduced.  The first one amazed the hell out of me a few years ago.  I'd never been with such a lively audience in a midwest arthouse theater before either.  I'm looking for more of the same here.  Really excited for this one.


Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4th

Jaws dropped and fanboys cheered when this trailer dropped.  I was a big fan of the first Captain America (one of the best Marvel movies out there) and was wishing for more period piece centric Cap adventures.  But something like this has quickly won me over.  If they pull off what they're trying to (70s political thriller meets big scale superhero movie) we may have another comic book movie reaching to another level of greatness.


Transcendence - April 18th

"Johnny Depp is Skynet" seems to be the popular joke about this one.  Directed by Wally Pfister, the DP for all the Nolan Batman films, this is exactly the type of movie you want to see the teaser for and then never hear a word about or see anything from until you've purchased your ticket to see it opening day.  And that's what I'm going to try to do.  Being a person working with Christopher Nolan, I think Wally has it in him to make a movie rivaling his expertise at making a mindbending original thriller.


X-Men: Days Of Future Past - May 23rd

As I mentioned before, I'm a big nut for the X-Men franchise and this is the big one.  The franchise has just notched two of its best films back to back and are gunning for the big one that fans have been clamoring to see done; Days Of Future Past.  I'd hate this to be the one they screw up.  They are Fast Five'ing it by bringing a lot of the franchise actors together for "the big one".  The one thing I'm not liking about the franchise right now is the marketing.  During The Wolverine's release, all we heard about was Days Of Future Past hype and info as if The Wolverine didn't matter and was just a stumbling block (while it wound up being one of the best in the franchise).  Now, we're still 6+ months from Days Of Future Past getting released and all we're hearing about is Apocalypse.  Slow down, lets go film by film here.  I don't want to know what happens after a film I haven't seen yet.


Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - July 11th

Here's a franchise I've loved since I was a tyke.  This looks to be a reimagined and redone version of one of the franchise's weakest entries (Battle For The Planet Of The Apes).  It was a movie that had a lot of good themes and ideas running, but people felt it didn't really work.  I've never really minded that one, but I don't deny it could be improved upon.  Hell, they just made a hell of a movie that took one of my favorites (Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes) to a whole other level.  They really impressed with the last entry, making one of the best movies of 2011, so it's exciting to see if they can do it again.


Jupiter Ascending - July 18th

The Wachowskis are the best filmmakers that no one talks as being of the best filmmakers.  Their resume is almost flawless and they've constantly broke new ground and constantly work on transcending filmmaking.  I'm not huge on the overabundance of CG in a film, but these 2 pull it off with massive success.  Every time they release a new film, it should be on everyone's "must see" list.  And this one looks to be no different.  They didn't have to release a good trailer like they did, just tell me the title and I'll be there.


Interstellar - November 7th

Christopher Nolan.  Matthew McConaughey.  Sci Fi.  Do you need anymore info to see this movie?  Didn't think so.  I don't know exactly what this is, and I love that the trailer didn't tell me either.  I love the Batman films, but its Nolan's other ones that intrigue me most (been a fan since Memento).  2014 will be the year with original sci fi that I think 2013 wanted to be.  We'll see.  There's a confidence and a lot better people behind the cameras for these that make me believe so.

Well, that's it for my look into 2014.  Of course there will be indies and such but we don't usually get word on those until festivals and the like so its hard to know and hype them up.  

Come back tomorrow as we'll be beginning another string of 31 days of content (likely more as I've been going daily for a bit right now).  Its not a franchise retrospective and it can be kind of a fun sharing/interactive game if you want to play along.  I think its gonna be fun, so come on back!

No comments:

Post a Comment