Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Favorite Films Of My Lifetime: 1993


 1993's list is a fun looking one.  There's plenty of variety to it.  This one also struck me as its one that seems to be comprised of film that look like they could appear on a lot of people's favorite films of all time lists.  I was also totally forgot that The Fugitive was a Best Picture nominee that year.  With all the lists of Best Picture nominees we've been going with it surely stands out among them as its one that seemed to be the general audience's champion for that year (of those nominated).  Anyway, let's take a look at those.


WINNER - Schindler's List
In The Name Of The Father
The Fugitive
The Piano
The Remains Of The Day

Now here's my picks for 93.  I apologize for the short read on this particular read as I had actually written about half of these in pieces in the past year.  But if you revisit the older articles (or maybe for the first time) there's plenty to be said.



Army Of Darkness

Yeah, yeah, so technically this came out in 1992. But, being a US citizen, it was not available to me until 1993.  This is one of the most quotable movies I've ever seen and its a quick and fun blast to watch.  I spoke more in depth about HERE.



Cronos

The first feature of auteur Guillermo del Toro.  Everything you love about him now has been present here from square one.  This is definitely one of the most unique and best vampire stories on celluloid that I'm sure many have never seen.  I have a bigger rundown of it HERE.


Dazed & Confused

This is a movie that works as both a period piece and sort of a coming of age tale for all ages.  Through my middle and high school years this thing movie got passed around, watched and quoted to death.  I don't know if this one has worked with younger generations as well as it did with mine.  I watch it now and I find a nostalgia for it and an era I didn't live through.  Plus, its still a great movie.  I think one reason it worked for my generation is that a lot of our music and some styles were a little bit of a throwback to the time in this movie.  Matthew McConaughey shows up here to give one of the best "hey, we better keep our eye on this guy" debut performances I've ever seen.  He's got the look, the lines and the execution that just owns. 


The Fugitive

At the time this came out it was an incredibly great thriller with great performances and great stunt sequences.  Looking back, the film is a little more pulpy, but in 1993 this was dead serious.  As I've mentioned before, this is my dad's favorite film of all time.  He saw it multiple times in the theater, we went to the drive-in to see it too.  This is the one time I can EVER recall that my dad was crazy about a movie.  The film was a phenomenon too, as CBS (I believe) even began airing reruns of the original series in primetime (yes, they did cool stuff like that back then).  My dad owns this movie, but will watch it every time its on TV.  Whenever he's perusing the channels and its on, he picks up and watches to the end if he's got the time.  You know, I'm not sure he's even seen US Marshalls even, he's straight up hardcore fanboy of the first one.


Groundhog Day

 I had to drag my Mom to take me to see this opening weekend.  And guess what?  She loved it.  My parents still to this day haven't really learned I know a thing or two about movies...but this isn't the place for that.  Since I'm easy when it comes to time travel-esque stories, I instantly fell for this one.  This is also one of Bill Murray's greatest comedic efforts of all time.  The movie forces and rewards you for paying attention to everything happening daily.  I didn't realize there was such a big fanbase for this one until later in life and you know...looking up stuff on the internet.  Its good though, as this movie is very deserving.


Jurassic Park

I love this movie.  And I think I put to words my best feelings about it in one of my last pieces for Scott at Mendelson's Memos.  HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment