Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Robocop Retrospective: That Time I Was Keen On Including Prime Directives...


So, when I started this retrospective I said I was going to do something different and cover this 4 part mini series that bombed on the SyFy channel back in 2001 when it wasn't afraid of itself and called the "Sci Fi Channel".  Its a mini series that takes place 10 years after the events of the Robocop 3.  However, its picks and chooses from continuity what it wants to have and have not taken place from the 2nd and 3rd Robocop movies.  Its got a new actor playing Robocop and once again has OCP (yeah, you know me) as a player in Delta City.  All the episodes were feature length and somewhat of a serialized story.  It got away from the kid centric stuff and went for a more adult tone.  However, the effects were pretty poor and kept it from achieving a full and serious adult entertainment venture.

I tried to give this a shot.  I watched the first one and kinda skimmed the 2nd after the first 10 minutes and in the end I felt that over 6 hours in a row of this was not worth dedicating my life to.  I just could not for the life of me get into it and I had a hard time keeping my concentration and giving it my full attention while watching.  The coolest thing that happened was Teri Bauer (Leslie Hope) showed up in the second one as part of some girl terrorist group.  I mean, I can take something like Robocop 3 and other bad films I've done in these retrospective series because once they're done, they're done.  There's not 5 hours remaining of that same conjecture to sit through.  This was just too much.
So, my apologies folks.  If you want to call it the straw that broke the camel's back...then be my guest.  Its no that I don't have the time right now, its that I just don't want to use said time on this.  I don't feel I'm doing any wrong, maybe disappointing some folks, but if you've seen this you may know.  And Mike, Joel, Crow and Tom Servo never had to watch anything beyond feature length, so I'm feeling all right.  Its just a "Bonus" feature that I ended up scrapping for this retrospective (and there's plenty of things I've wanted to add to some in the past and haven't been able to...this is just the first one publicly known that I scrapped).  So, we'll all reconvene for this reboot and talk then!


No comments:

Post a Comment